"A" river produces again!

For all things fungal related or not.

"A" river produces again!

Postby sleromevoli on Thu May 01, 2008 8:19 am

had a good day in the same river spot as last time. They were less concentrated this time but still of very good quality. Plenty of mature morels as well as a good pile of little guys from a second flush. I saw a couple interesting things today. The first group we found was on a road through blackberrys, it looked like someone drove a CAT or tractor through last year, a few on the edge and a couple right in the tire tracks. The next good cluster was growing out of a maple root (there are a couple pics of these below), this was the most immature cluster we found, but also the most concentrated. There were about 12-15 morels growing along 2 ft of mostly exposed root. The root branch was about 3-4 inches in diameter and starting to rot, the morels were growing right out of the root itself. We also found two, at least, that were growing out of dead and down limbs, apparently maple again. And I also found two growing right next to a big cottonwood on one of its main root lines. One of those two was large and was growing about 2-3 ft from the base of the tree and growing dead center out of a root that was maybe 8-10 inches in diameter. This cottonwood appeared to be in good health, except there was one small soft spot on the root near the morel. I had yet to witness morels growing on or out of wood or roots, so it was definitely a valuable day experience wise. The 80 yellows we took home were an added bonus! I almost forgot to mention, we found one with a red stem, at first I was very confused but after we cut it we saw that it had been eaten by slugs\bugs on the back of the stem and it was starting to rot, for some reason it turned red instead of the brown color I usually see on rotting stems.

sleromevoli
Cantharellus Junior Member

Postby Tobiah on Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

beautiful pics. well done sir. did u leave yourself a secondary crop?
G. Hunt- What are the consequences of raising a generation of people with no opportunity to forage? I believe that a child who grows up with the notion that nature isn't to be touched soon develops a feeling of indifference and indifference towards nature is the greatest of all threats to her
Tobiah
Caesarea Forum God

Postby sleromevoli on Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 am

tobiah,

yeah we left a few on purpose, and i'm sure a lot more by accident. there were very few exposed morels. almost all of them were under the ground growth. a lot of the flowers in the area have broad leaves, we found at least 3/4 of the total haul by using sticks to brush green ground cover to the side so we could get a look underneath. all of the babies that we left were in a very concentrated area. by the look of things i would assume there is another fruiting underway now. should be more matures in a week or two. though i might be higher in elevation by then. have you been back to the "300-800 ft coastal" that you, eben and i were at a couple weeks ago (the second location of that day)? i took last week off, and haven't been back into the coast range for about 2 weeks. hope all is well!
sleromevoli
Cantharellus Junior Member

Postby Merkel_Man on Thu May 01, 2008 11:31 am

Looks like its time to go looking again.
Merkel_Man
Caesarea Forum God

Postby StacyKA on Thu May 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Very nice pics....droooool ! I need to get out tonight.
StacyKA
Cantharellus Full Member

Postby ChrystieJean on Thu May 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Beautiful pics! I didn't know morels grew that way!
-Mushroom Princess of Light

All Truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is Ridiculed... Second, it is Violently Opposed... Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer (1778-1860)
ChrystieJean
Cantharellus Full Member

Return to General Discussion